Dat atmosphere. Showing off some new lighting in Wayward which will eventually become dynamic lighting based on light sources and natural vision.
Showcasing some dynamic water routing via digging in Wayward, upcoming in Alpha 1.2. A perfect fit for those who want to make their own islands for monster protection.
In this video I showcase and talk about some of the changes in this alpha release. As per usual, progress and work on the next version is already underway during the upload of this video.
Nothing too epic today. Just getting getting in over my head with terrain generation algorithms. This new generation system probably won’t be ready for the 1.2 release, but definitely will be going in after. I still have lots of work to do on it including biomes and caves/dungeons.
With the help of “Hi” (from #rgrd and the Rogue Temple forums) I was able to resolve the color space issue for Macs. Everybody on a Mac should be able to play Wayward just fine and dandy now!
Essentially, because I am loading in my static map through a color-coded .png file, there was some color space issues for various browsers detecting slightly different color codes. I thought I have accounted for them all, but I forgot all about Macs (not owning one and all). If you were having problems before, try it out now:
It’s that time again! A new Alpha version has been released for Wayward!
As always, would love to hear what everybody thinks.
Check out the comment thread via Reddit. (posted in /r/roguelikes)
Changes in Alpha 1.1
- Tons of bug and performance fixes.
- More equipment, more items, more enemies, more sounds, more crafting, more environments.
- Monsters now have corpses that can be carved for resources.
- You can now rest with the bedroll.
- Better support for lower resolutions.
- Dialog/window positions now save on your browser.
- You can now skip/wait a turn with the space bar.
- There is now a static and unique map to explore, filled with dungeons and treasures.
- There is a “win” scenario built into the game. Can you discover it?
- Better combat functionality.
- Projectiles and throwing.
- Intelligence has been taken out – Hunger is in!
- Random starting equipment.
- Browser warnings for older browsers.
- Temporary loading/title screen.
- New character look 🙂
- Hotkeys implemented.
- Tool-tips enabled for items and crafting recipes for more information.
- Much more…
This video was released in conjunction with Wayward Alpha 1.0 being released.
The very first public release is now out for your enjoyment and consumption!
Play it here: http://www.unlok.ca/wayward/
Some screenshots of what to expect:
Some of the initial features for this early release:
- Tons of bugs, probably.
- Infinite dynamically generated terrain and environments.
- Skill and stat based character progression with attributes based on skills and equipment.
- 5 monsters, 10 tiles, 10 crafting recipes, 5 environmental items, 35 items.
- Usable/edible items with double clicking. Dig up items with the shovel. Eat mushrooms! Drop dirt over water!
- Dropping/planting items with right clicking. Plant and grow mushrooms!
- Environmental items that grow and spread; mushrooms, flowers, etc.
- Monster combat and basic AI.
- Resource gathering and a unique discovery crafting system.
- Canvas/HTML5 gameport rendering with particle effects.
- JQuery/JQueryUI based movable windows/interface with drag and drop capabilities for items and equipment.
- SoundManager2 based sound effects and audio.
- Minimap to help exploration.
- Left hand is equipable.