If you are looking for the changelog for the beta 2.0.x series of Wayward (Steam version), you can now find those on the Wayward website via the Changelog page.
Beta 1.9.3 (Wayward Free)
Released April 27th, 2016.
- Fixed a bug that didn’t allow you to see all the hints if using “Previous Hint”.
- Fixed a bug where repairing/reinforcing an item would not remove red durability marker.
- Fixed all container errors possibly.
- Removed all old references/links from hints/help.
- Fixed an error displaying when hovering over/using Ectoplasm.
- Fixed an issue where Bedrolls were not giving a sleeping bonus if they were in first inventory spot.
- Fixed items not reducing in durability if they were in the first inventory spot.
- Fixed an error if you tried to preserve on empty tile.
- Fixed an issue where the Black Powder message was not used at all.
Released August 31st, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- The offline/downloadable clients would not allow mods to be loaded (node-webkit issue).
- Quality of tiles did not transfer between setting down and digging/gathering them back up.
- Slime Gelatin would decay into Rotten Meat.
- Magical “Essense” typo fix.
- Attack and defense values would not be updated after an un-equip.
- When attacking a creature, you will no longer also pick up items from under it in the same turn.
- Water routing ability (digging adjacent to water) and chances now depend on how much water you are trying to route and dig from. If the pool of water tiles is too low, it will not be able to spread naturally; however, above that, the chance for water to route is based on the amount of water tiles in the pool. The more water, the easier the water is to route.
- There is now a 32 and 64 bit versus for the offline OS X version of Wayward (previously only 32-bit).
- Fixed the tile/world perspectives on Forge and Anvil and Wooden Chest and a few other miscellaneous graphic edits.
- Armor now has specific vulnerabilities and resistances and monsters now have damage types to be used in conjunction.
- Attack and defense labels now have hover-over information which includes a more in-depth break down of damage types, resistances, vulnerabilities and skill bonuses for each.
- Transmogrify, Repair, Reinforce, and the new “Preserve” now show up in each item menu to specifically perform item on item action instead of having to drop the item on the ground to perform the actions.
- A new “Preserve” ability has been added to be used on extended the life of foods.
- A few new items including a unique, rare weapon and a new resource (and tile).
Released July 13th, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- Multiple errors could be triggered when using a container that was in the first slot in your inventory.
- A typo that caused some creatures not being able to spawn on shallow sea water.
- Plant Roots was spelled “plant Roots”.
- Fire decay rate status was not being calculated per type, so furnaces for example would always be raging to start and last for a long time. The message is now more accurate.
- You could duplicate items by holding an item in your cursor and picking an item up.
- Sounds would sometimes not play properly in the offline, downloadable version.
- Decode verbiage changed to make more sense with gather treasure changes.
- Aberrant Living Mushrooms now drop/carve into Red Mushrooms instead of the normal white mushrooms.
- Living Mushrooms no longer bleed.
- Removed attack from actions as it caused issues with timing/turns and there’s no option to disable auto attack anyway, so it was confusing/unnecessary.
- The Bull Boat no longer requires treasure, and no longer has a “win” state applied to it – it can now simply be used to travel to a new world.
- A new, more advanced boat has been included to replace the old Bull Boat’s functionality.
- Ammo and fire consumables (tinder, kindling, etc.) will now be checked throughout all containers in player’s inventory, not just those that are equipped.
- Chickens now longer spawn by default, they have been added to a higher tier.
- The container menu/window will now display the name of the container that is currently open.
- Slowed down plant spreading chance by around 75%.
- Speed up fire spreading chance by around 25%.
- Blood removal now has a custom message and no longer loops as a second action.
- Plants may now randomly, and rarely spontaneously grow (not just from spreading from another as previous).
- Performance of the offline, downloadable version should be improved a bit.
- Complete documentation and hint/help guide added. Caution: heavy spoilers! Let me know if you can see any improvements to be made on this.
- Added unique corpses to aberrant creatures.
- A few new items and item uses added.
- Eggs have been added and can now hatch into chickens, or be laid by chickens.
- Help and donation buttons added to the main menu.
- spawnMonster now has an extra parameter for forcing aberrant status.
Released June 14th, 2014.
Beta 1.9 contains all the changes and fixes included in 1.8.1-1.8.6.
Fixed a bug where:
- De-spawning would stop to function properly after awhile in a game/session.
- Using quick-slotted items with hotkeys would bypass sling/bow equip restrictions and cause containers not to work.
- Quickslotted items would not restock if thrown from the item menu.
- 0 durability items being blocked from crafting if they were just required (and not consumed).
- Dying while rafting would cause the player to become stuck on respawn.
- Invisible rotten meat would keep spawning in a player’s inventory if they had some meat with a 0 decay in the first spot of a container, in the first spot of their inventory. You can see how this one was hard to track down!
- Filters would not work in Safari.
- Items would disappear if you tried to use “Drop (All) In Opened Container” when not facing the chest.
- Closing a container with the “X” would not actually close the container via game logic, possibly causing some container errors.
- Fists and throwing items with no damage type would result in no vulnerabilities and resistances being applied.
- Players could get different items back after they just placed a tile. For example, getting shale from a pile of gravel they just placed down.
- Randomized events will now happen more frequently.
- Acceleration on movement slowed down on turning to produce more accurate facing movements.
- Slowed down monster de-spawn a bit (although, it’s much faster than before due to a bug fix).
- Items you cannot craft are displayed with a red border instead of a very low opacity.
- If a container breaks from throwing, the items inside now scatter around the point of impact.
- Decreased the durability on branches, bones, and wooden poles to promote crafting of higher tiered items for gathering/fighting.
- You can now turn while moving with your mouse and holding down, instead of having to de-click, and then changing directions.
- Increased vine whip durability.
- “A Spear” is now “A Stone Spear”.
- You now always have a chance at doing at least 1 damage to a creature.
- Resists and vulnerabilities re-balanced across all creatures.
- Fixed some grammar issues with combat messages.
- A couple new survival food related items added.
- Added a couple missing translation texts including recipe skill, equipment type, damage types, and dialog titles.
- A pick-up option was added to the action menu for doors.
- Inspecting an aberrant monster will now reveal it’s abnormal.
- Combat messages will now reveal effectiveness of what you are using to damage a creature.
- New fancy webkit-only scroll bars!
- Item CSS is now generated dynamically instead of via CSS. This will improve modibility and changing of items on the fly.
Beta 1.8.6 (Weekly)
Released May 1st, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- Mobs would eventually stop de-spawning properly, causing too many monsters present on longer playthroughs.
- A default english.js customization would fail, making translations not able to be loaded fully.
- Increased default durability for both of the slings.
- There is now a “Resting” and “Sleeping” feature. If you were familiar before with Resting, basically, Sleeping is now that functionality. Resting is a bit different now in that you will now automatically stop resting when your Stamina is full. On top of this, Resting, unlike Sleeping cycles (length) are not dictated by time of day or if you are facing a fire, but still dependant on your Camping skill a bit. Resting will provide the same regenerative effects as Sleeping; however, your hunger and thirst will still increase as if you were normally taking turns, while sleeping gives a bonus decrease to this (as per usual).
- You can now “Rest” from the Actions menu without any item; however, you will receive less regenerative effects resting directly on the ground.
- Special randomized events now have the rare chance of occurring, these include:
- Bare trees can become full again.
- Trees can grow extra resources.
- Monster death.
- Monster health increase.
- Monster health decrease.
- Plant destroy.
- Plant fertility increase.
- Plant fertility decrease.
- More of these events to come.
Beta 1.8.5 (Weekly)
Released April 18th, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- Item menus would hover off of the left side of the screen.
- Items in an opened container would not update if decayed (and cause errors) until re-opened.
- An opened container would not close if thrown.
- Movement was being dictated by FPS which on some configurations (GPU/browser) was causing very fast movements.
- Errors were produced when killing a monster from shot/thrown item.
- Slowed down plant spreading by about 50%.
- Increased chance at getting hurt from not using a tool while gathering (and now picking up items without a tool via new Actions menu).
- Throwing and shooting (slings/bows) now reduce stamina based on a Tactics skill check like attacking melee currently does.
- New “Actions” menu (hotkey “q”) implemented. This will create a contextual menu for your facing tile where one or more of the following actions will now be available: Inspect, Gather, Attack, Drink and/or Pick-up.
- Fixed some possible bugs/errors caused by not converting item id’s to numbers (parseInt).
Beta 1.8.4 (Weekly)
Released April 10th, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- Cave houses were not spawning with items randomly.
- Throwing a container would destroy the items inside.
- Initial game/save load sped up by around 10-20% depending on browser/hardware.
- Skeletons can now sometimes spawn in generated templates/houses/boats.
- Performing any action on a hidden enemy (Trap Door Spider) will now reveal it.
- Fixed an issue with some sounds on some browsers where audio would sound like it was getting cut-off.
- Derelict boats and rafts can now spawn in the open seas.
- There is now a code console in options where you can any code without needing to load a mod.
- Templating code/objects have been overhauled.
Beta 1.8.3 (Weekly)
Fixed a bug where:
- Digging/carving up environmental objects would sometimes produce an item with a negative durability.
- The Bow Drill is now crafted from the Hand Drill. The graphic now also reflects this.
- The Raft now requires a Boat Paddle. The graphic now also reflects this.
- The rafting graphic that appears under your while drifting now changes direction based on movement.
- Attributes and stats in the HUD/GUI are now broken up on larger resolutions. The attributes are now more condensed in general as well.
- The container window acts like the rest of the windows and saves it’s position/size between game re-loads.
- You can now sometimes dig into fresh water resources from dirt/gravel/swamp tiles on the rare occasion.
- Resting now uses the fastest available timing. There’s no more artificial delay, the delay that is there is literally how fast it takes to run the turns sequentially.
- Updated supported browser version listing.
- The Player.use item function has been removed; everything is now passed automatically via object variables to their proper actions.
Beta 1.8.2 (Weekly)
Released April 3rd, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- The player would take fire damage if trying to attack an enemy that is over top of a fire source.
- Tool-tips and item hovers would not change after crafting an item until your mouse moved again.
- You could gather from resource tiles that were on fire.
- Tall rocks could randomly change graphics on first gather.
- Mining and Fishing skill now benefits the radius in which you can dig or fish up treasure up to a maximum of 11 tiles away (1 tile per 10%).
- Gathering treasure will allow you to gain in Mining/Fishing skills.
- Gathering treasure will now damage the tool used.
- Carving will no longer stop after carving blood, it will cycle through the next object on the tile.
- You can now craft once again with 0 durability items.
- Inventory containers (bags, backpacks, etc.) will now stay open on movement.
- All crafted items now get at least 1 durability.
- Expert level items are a bit harder to craft (versus a skill check).
- Some miscellaneous spelling fixes.
- A new “Gather Treasure” action has been added to the item menu for shovels and fishing nets. This is to be used instead of trying to decode the map near the treasure. It will automatically cycle through what ever maps you have in your inventory to find a match.
- A light radius has been added to cave entrances. The intensity of light is determined by the time of day/night.
- The rafting (or drift) system has been overhauled. Rafts can now be used in any water and will allow you to move at normal speeds, outside of the water. Raft is damaged based on movement.
Beta 1.8.1 (Weekly)
Released March 27th, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- Monsters could spawn on top of fire of other blocking environmental objects.
- Placing a tile on grass was ignoring the proper stack (and not turning the grass to dirt).
- Pouring a Pile of Snow was making game and save file completely unplayable.
- Some containers were causing many errors. Is this the end of container bugs? Thanks Milo Hoffmann!
- Tool-tips and item menus were showing behind dialogs still (hopefully this is fixed for real now).
- Digging up cobblestone was not returning the proper item.
- Made Iron in rocks and sandstone a bit easier to spot visually.
- A new crafting hint/help dialog has been added that explains all the depth and intricacies of crafting.
- Coal rocks have been added back in as a resource tile.
- There is now a drop gathered items on ground option available.
- Wayward now uses Application Cache technology. This means all the game’s files will now get stored on your computer and load instantly regardless of normal browser caching. New files will get re-downloaded only on updates.
Released March 20th, 2014
Beta 1.8 contains all the changes and fixes included in 1.7.1-1.7.4.
Fixed a bug where:
- Resting could sometimes cause a permanent black screen when interrupted.
- You could not kill a Blindfish due to an error.
- Where dropping an item would always close an inventory container dialog.
- Tiles now have a minimum and maximum property added to them (same system as the recent environmental item change). There isn’t much gameplay change here yet – but will happen soon!
- Offline build now uses node-webkit 0.9.2. This should improve performance; however, it seems kind of buggy with sound.
Beta 1.7.4 (Weekly)
Released March 13th, 2014
Fixed a bug where:
- Dropping an inventory container would not close it and cause errors.
- Pouring water on open fire would not extinguish it.
- Solar Stills recipes were duplicating on new games still.
- The new favicon was not showing up on certain browsers/configurations.
- Filters would not work after the first game of a session.
- There is now a loading icon to signify loading times. This is only partially implemented right now and will only happen on initial page load and during resting.
- Resting now uses a loading cycle. This will stop the freezing resting was causing especially during night (or with campfire bonus). This change also allows you to see your stats change over the period of your rest.
- The Jelly Cube now has significant more resistance from Blunt damage.
- Chicken feather drop rate has been halved (due to another creature sharing it’s effect).
- Lots of monster graphic changes to make the difference between aberrant and normals much more apparent.
- The version warning/error you get on old saves is now more generalized and helpful
- Sort buttons now titled “Sort” instead of “Sort Inventory” for example. More space!
- Increased monster de-spawn rate a bit.
- Increased talent needed to unlock new monster tiers a bit.
- Default spawn rate decreased a bit.
- Stone Knives reduced to 20 durability (from 25). They also consume 2 sharpened rocks on use (instead of just 1).
- A new “Utensils” group has been added. You will now need one of these for any cooking.
- Removed pole-likes from anything that needed wood in specific (these were changed to Wooden Poles).
- Branches are no longer pole-likes.
- Campfire graphic changed slightly to show the non-requirement of fuel/pole-likes.
- Saplings are no longer pole-likes, but can craft into Branches.
- A brand new creature has been added.
Beta 1.7.3 (Weekly)
Released March 6th, 2014
Fixed a bug where:
- Starting a game with an equipped torch would not provide a light bonus until you moved.
- Equipping a torch would not provide a light bonus until you moved.
- Dialogs could be moved past screen a bit.
- Dialogs would move a bit when you closed and opened them back up after resizing them.
- Hitting a creature in water while on ground would produce Swimming skill gains, particle effects, and even cure “Burning Pain”.
- Moving into chests or other blocked tiles while encumbered would reduce stamina and potentially hurt you.
- Legendary items would change their bonuses on each pick-up.
- Rendering performance improved a bit.
- A Pole-like is no longer needed in the Campfire recipe.
- Added a meta tag that should stop iOS (beta) from displaying the top/bottom bars.
- Dialogs now support smaller minimum widths and heights to support more customized placements/layouts.
- Dialogs now appear to be transparent if not hovered over them. This will allow you to possibly leave them open more frequently now as you can see enemies behind them.
- Other various improvements done to dialogs like condensing everything a bit, adding some new styling, and adding the filter into the button bar instead of inside the dialog.
- Raw Clay can now be placed back down as a tile.
- When you place a tile over grass, it will now die and turn to dirt.
- Added favicon and app icon support for iOS/Android/Microsoft including retina displays with a new Wayward icon (instead of the “U” from Unlok).
- Release variable now added instead of it being hard-coded in all the file pathing.
- A few minor edits were done to the language/english.js file.
Beta 1.7.2 (Weekly)
Released February 27th, 2014
Fixed a bug where:
- Solar Stills would never finish purifying water.
- Monsters would no longer spawn in late-game Daily Challenge Mode.
- Some newer items would display the wrong item on the ground/pick-up animation.
- Solar Still/Stone Water Still recipes would duplicate on new game.
- Shooting a bow/sling without ammo would give an “undefined” message.
- Fishing a Raw Trout would not unlock the Cooked Trout recipe.
- Tool-tips and item menus would appear behind windows/dialogs.
- Tool-tips did not have smooth movement on some windows/dialogs.
- Firefox would receive many errors when trying to swim near the starting point of the world.
- Treasure guardian message would show even if no treasure guardians spawned.
- Removed monster spawning limit, increased monster de-spawn rate.
- Vined trees will now only show up near swamps.
- Saplings have been added back as gathered resources from trees.
- Large rocks/shale no longer spawn as “resource nodes” on Sandstone.
- All arrowheads can now be used as sharpened items and for carving.
- Sinew is now a rope-like.
- Golden Sword can be used for carving.
- Sapling is now a pole-like and can be used to stoke fires.
- Increased default fishing success by 35%.
- Wooden Spear can now only be crafted with a Wooden Pole.
- Range of treasure guardians increased a bit.
- The non-pixelized font now defaults to your system’s default sans-serif (instead of Helvetica, Arial) for better character/localization support.
- You can now right-click to see the water status on Solar Still/Stone Water Still.
- You can no longer dig up a still that still has water in it.
- Fixed an issue where 0 durability items were not showing up as red in the tool-tips.
- Resource tiles are now physically spawned, rather than items simply spawning on top of them. This will give a large performance boost as well as reduce save file space by 40%+ on new saves. Unfortunately most of this will only apply to newer saves.
- Resource tiles now appear visibly different on the minimap, and are visibly different even outside line of sight.
- Upgraded to jQuery 2.1/jQueryUI 1.10.4.
- english.js (translation file) now reveals when changes are made to the file to keep your translation up to date easier (Removed/Added/Edited with version information). The default english.js file now also includes a statement at the bottom which will switch the user’s font to their default sans-serif font for better character/localization. There was several language changes made in 1.7.2.
Beta 1.7.1 (Weekly)
Released February 20th, 2014
Fixed a bug where:
- Legendary equipables were not giving skill bonuses.
- The spyglass was not working (not updating the mini map).
- Mod loading messages were always in red, and even resulted in success if there was an error.
- You could not use previous/next buttons in the Hints (or Help) dialog.
- Moving into a locked chest would open an empty container dialog.
- Ponds and houses spawned too close to the shore (again).
- Crafting with an item that had 0 durability resulted in an error. Items with 0 durability can no longer be used in crafting.
- Environmental items did not have a minimum durability added.
- Dialogs now go over HUD elements once again.
- The load modification input now clears on load/attempted load.
- Skill gain is now doubled in Daily Challenge Mode.
- Shale is now usable in everything that needed a “Sharp Rock” specifically before. Shale has also been added to Sandstone drops.
- “An Arrowhead” is now “A Stone Arrowhead”.
- Patches of clay can sometimes spawn around shores now.
- Some spawned houses are now wooden-build. All generates houses can now contain fixtures such as Campfires, Furances, Locked Wooden Chests and more.
- Exceptional, Remarkable, Legendary crafting chances lowered slightly.
- Most “Build” items now have much higher durability when set down or affixed to the world. They can also be repaired. For example, Wooden Chests (normal quality) had 3-6 durability, but now have 7-10, and can be repaired.
Special thanks to vlsd and Orillian on this release.
Released February 16th, 2014
- Fixed a bug where clicking off and on a dialog when scrolled would reset the scroll bar position.
- Fixed a bug where ponds would spawn too close to the shore.
- Fixed several Internet Explorer 11 issues including not being able to click on HUD menus.
- Fixed a bug where quickslotted items would be removed on game load and be completely inaccessible.
- Fixed an issue where the numbers would disappear in quickslots in Firefox.
- A check under the player is now done on every turn (to check if there’s a fire under you).
- Fixed a bug where items would not decay properly on the ground.
- Fixed a bug where pouring water on a Lit Stone Water Still would cause it to disappear.
- Fixed a bug where “Remove All Data” did not remove Milestones or Crafts.
- Fixed some errors that may occur with containers on rare occasions.
- Shift + right click has been disabled in Firefox (causes context menu to display and traps “shift” as always on). Use alt instead in Firefox.
- Fixed an oversight that disallowed all touch events (this has been hot-fixed in beta 1.6).
- All aberrants now drop items. This also fixed the aberrant milestone not triggering.
- Fixed an error occurring when trying to light a fire with an empty container equipped.
- Fixed a bug where gathering would ignore the previous stack of tiles under it. For example, gathering a Stone Wall back into your inventory would always spawn dirt underneath even if you placed other terrain types under it previously.
- “Save and Exit” removed for Firefox. Firefox does not support exiting a tab/window without native browser input.
- Fixed “00” score bug when dying on no/low score. Score formula slight change (no longer counts number of treasures).
- Fixed several errors and oversights relating to treasure items and travelling home (would not always count the proper amount). Removed all treasure finding messages.
- Equipped containers no longer get damaged (preventing several errors and unintended consequences).
- Fixed a bug that would slightly resize/move each dialog on each load.
- Fixed a long standing bug that would cause the character to continue moving if focus of the tab/window was left while a key was being pressed (among other causes). This would routinely cause players to die as they would continue walking into monsters or getting hurt from stamina loss.
- Players now start with the knowledge on how to build both Stone Water Stills and Solar Stills.
- Stone Water Still now requires rock-likes instead of Large Rocks.
- Repairing now reduces maximum durability by 1/3 instead of 1/2.
- Default item durability has been increased by one.
- Doubled durability bonus on Remarkable/Exceptional/Legendary (tripled).
- Stone Walls now require Large Rocks for crafting.
- Lockpicking, opening bottles, using a Spyglass/Sundial, and using any edible/healing/curing items now all pass a turn.
- Environmental items are now damaged when dug/carved back up. If they reach 0 durability, you can no longer use them in that context.
- Pressing ESC while in the inventory/crafting filter will now clear and un-focus it.
- Waterskin now requires less skill to create.
- It now takes a less fuel/stoking to make a fire “raging”.
- Fresh water now has a very rare chance to spawn around mountainous terrain.
- Health now regenerates slower by default.
- Durability of items used in craft now effects the durability of the crafted item now.
- You now start with some randomization starting pools of stamina/hunger/thirst/health. This effect is doubled for Daily Challenge Mode.
- Food now generally decays a bit faster across the board. Hunger rate increased a small amount.
- Facing a fire while resting will now provide bonuses to regenerative effects and duration.
- Higher tiered monsters will now attack a bit harder.
- Spear attack values lowered across all tiers.
- Lowered Living Mushroom spawn chance.
- Cover art now supports resolutions above 1920×1080.
All randomness in the game is now based on your seed.Will come in next version as implementing causes world generation changes.
- You can now quickslot every item. If there is no uses/actions available, it will default to being thrown.
- Crafting order is now based on the order it appears in your inventory, equipment or quickslot (in that order). No longer just limited to just inventory items. The hover effect will now only show which items will be used in the craft.
- Equipment/crafting dialogs have been separated from the inventory. New hotkeys added for equipment (E), and crafting (C). Skill hotkey is now X.
- As with any release, there’s been several performance improvements.
- Several HUD and GUI improvements including a fix to opacity contrast on some transparent elements. The HUD/GUI is still a work in progress.
- The main menu is now used when starting a game. This will allow new game-modes and other options.
- Plants that are planted are not automatically non-fertile.
- Removed all “Poor” items. They have been all renamed to match material descriptors instead of quality descriptors. Several minor recipe changes because of this.
- “Dump” action changed to “Set Down”.
- Better positioning added for item menus near the right or bottom edge of the screen – mouse cursor should now always be positioned within them.
- There is now no maximum size for dialogs. Make them as big as you want! The minimum height has also been decreased.
- The minimap converts to a smaller version when screen is smaller in width (previously would only occur on a small screen height).
- The Steam Greenlight badge has been removed.
- Traps now do more damage dependent on skill.
- Monsters will no longer spawn on any player made tiles/flooring.
- Some monsters are now limited to what type of environment or tile they can spawn on or near.
- Bears can now swim.
- You can no longer move while game menu is opened.
- Opening the main game menu will now closes any open item menus.
- New batch of Milestones added.
- Translation system implemented. Official translations will be coming later.
- Daily Challenge Mode added. Extremely difficult mode that is only for fun (or frustration) that changes each day. Does not effect your save.
- New “water” sound.
- New item menu commands available: Add to Quickslot, Remove from Quickslot, Drop All, Drop in Opened Container, Drop All in Opened Container, Remove from Container, Remove All from Container.
- There is now an auto save that happens every 5000 turns in case of crash.
- You can throw any item. The distance is dependant on the item’s weight and Throwing skill. The damage is dependant on the attack value of the item thrown, or the weight if the item has no attack value shown in the tool-tip. Some items can only be thrown if the player has the proper strength (based on item’s weight).
- There’s a variety of new resting items and changes to the current Leaf Bedroll for balance. There’s a few other surprises as well.
- There is new status effect called “Burning Pain”.
- Zoom in/out options added to the options menu.
- Seeds are now defined with a base (for map generation) and a saved to continue the seed on game loads.
- ?convert-save can now be used in the URL to force a save conversion. Useful for in-development versions.
- Uses are now defined in an array. No more “use/secondaryuse”. onUse also added as an object to define effects for each use.
- “tile” removed from all item naming conventions to be more consistent with the item name.
- Monster spawning definitions (such as the new spawnTiles/spawnTalent) are now defined in with the rest of monster data (npcs) to be modified/dynamically altered during gameplay.
Special thanks to arktvrvs and Grom_PE on this release.
Released December 6th, 2013
- Fixed a bug where milestones and crafted items were getting removed when closing the game directly after death.
- Fixed a bug where both hands would not attack depending on what was equipped or not equipped. Both hands should now be used in an attack no matter what now.
- Fixed (indirectly) a bug that caused the minimap to glitch out when near edge of world.
- Fixed several music errors and bugs related to switching tracks or multiple tracks playing at the same time.
- Fixed an exploit that would allow you to reset your thirst by eating something that made you gain thirst.
- Fixed a bug that was damaging random items on attack (with no weapons). Attacking with your hands can now hurt you in combat again (was bugged).
- Fixed a bug where Trout could go on land after being attacked.
- Fixed Trout resistances to stop a skill gain exploit. Trout are now harder to corner or get near, so fishing is always the best option now. Trout can now swim through (or under) you, and can move in random directions. Fish can also now go on shallow water.
- Fixed a bug where lighting a fire successfully was taking two turns.
- Fixed a bug where some dialog buttons were not working in IE9.
- Fixed a bug where dirt tiles would not lead or route water properly.
- Fixed a bug on IE9, and possibly other older browsers that wouldn’t re-populate the inventory/crafting list after clearing out the filters.
- Fixed a bug that did not show any durability when an item had 0 durability left.
- Fixed an issue where text in red on uncraftable items was not counting required items.
- Fixed a bug where music would double up if repeating the playlist.
- Fixed an issue where the first drag and drop would fail on Inventory/Container dialog.
- Fixed an issue where void/black-hole-like tiles would appear on older save games.
- Fixed a bug where you could gather multiple walls on hit when only using one or no tools when gathering from a tile that was previously a resource tile of some kind. Pretty specific, no?
- Fixed a bug where sharks could spawn in caves.
- Fixed a bug where sea water would spawn in caves on rare occasions.
- Fixed a bug where every second music track was being skipped.
- Fixed a bug where more than one movement would happen on cave exit/enter.
- Fixed a bug where the HUD would disappear permanently on win/travel state.
- Fixed some errors when fighting bare-handed.
- Containers are now left open when placing something inside/removing something.
- Damaged items now show in red inside containers like in inventory.
- Tinder, Kindling, and Fuel-likes have been removed from crafting recipes. Lighting a fire now requires each of these (unless using a torch, then you only need fuel). If you are starting the fire on a flammable tile, you don’t need fuel.
- Sandstone is now a rock-like item. Kilns now require a rock-like (instead of Sandstone, specifically). This is until the world map changes are in.
- Default light radius around your character is now gone. Be scared! And… grab a torch!
- Right clicking will only drop now. Secondary uses are executed from new context menu. Less confusion!
- Failing to plant an item will now damage it.
- You can now pour Waterskins/Glass Bottles out without needing to necessarily pour on to something.
- Trouts now spawn more commonly than sharks.
- Scared creatures now try to escape (randomly) when they are scared instead of lock into combat with you.
- You only gain combat skills if you actually dealt damage. Misses still provide fail skill bonus.
- Resource gathering is now twice as fast; however, there is a larger wait between actions when you get item(s).
- Quality of items used in craft now also effect the decay property (primarily with cooking).
- All required/consumed items are now damaged on a crafting fail.
- It’s now a bit more common to fail on trying to craft an item out of your skill range.
- Water containers, Spyglasses, and Sundials now reduce in durability on use.
- Creature tiers now scale/unlock a bit slower (less high-level enemies at start of game).
- Fixed grammar to correct “drinking” of drinkable items as well as “cooked” of cooking crafted items.
- Starting items, resource gathering, monster loot, chest loot all now have a chance to be Remarkable (uncommon), Exceptional (rare) or even Legendary (very rare) items.
- Using Remarkable, Exceptional and Legendary items in a craft now effect the chances of your craft also taking on these qualities. Reduced chance of creating Remarkable items by default. You can now craft Remarkable/Exceptional items across everything (instead of just limited to equippables).
- Fire Elementals now have a much lower chance to spawn fire.
- Poison, bleeding and burned status effects are now have randomized damage and scale with your strength. Equipment now taken into account for burn damage and can absorb some or all of the damage.
- Abberant spawning now a bit more rare for lower talent, but now also a bit more common on very high talent.
- Durability warnings (and red visual) now start at 2 durability instead of 1.
- You can no longer plant items in cave that won’t grow there.
- The hint window now stops all game input until disabled or closed.
- Fresh water tiles now are now visually different than sea water (via mini-map and tile graphics).
- You can now use a shovel over a cave entrance/exit to gather an environmental item, or pick up a chest for example.
- You can now use a shovel on entrance/exit to cave it in. Digging above/below exit/entrance will now open it back up.
- Cave entrances/exits can no longer spawn beside each other.
- Bows now need to be equipped to be used.
- There is now particle effects on thrown/shot items.
- The Bull Boat is no longer destroyed on travel (but it is damaged).
- Crafting now has a delay. This stops accidentally double clicking and making unwanted items.
- Milestones now save permanently, and each unlocked on start gives +1% to starting skill, and chance for more starting items.
- There is now slightly more monsters on new world generation by default.
- Living Rocks now drop Limestone and Talc in addition to others items.
- Treasure loot is now improved with a better chance of more items, and better items. Also fixed a bug that was limiting treasure and producing errors on chest unlock.
- Most containers can now be equipped. Ammunition will be searched for in equipped containers before checking rest of inventory. There is new “Back” slot in the inventory.
- You can now fast equip armor, weapons and tools by clicking the equip to command from the new item menu. It will automatically swap things out just as per normal drag + drop functionality. For held items, it will target the left hand first, then the right hand (if something is equipped already in the left hand), then continue swapping for just the right hand.
- New context/item menu implemented via single click on to item. The new item menu will feature all interactions that you can use the item for. This opens up lots of future possibilities. There’s only a couple of interactions right now, but expect to see more options soon!
- A few new unique creatures and tons of new items/crafts including some rare/special stuff. No spoilers!
- Smooth movement has been added. This is disabled by default (for now).
- Control (Ctrl) now replaced with Shift or Alt key modifiers to add proper Mac OS/cross-browser support.
- New sound effect for bow firing.
- Ponds have been added to caves as well as some other visual and geological changes.
- Game screen illustrations now are formatted (new art!) to fit 16:9, but now scale dynamically for other resolutions as well.
- Bleeding and poisoning now cause visual differences in your character.
- There is now “invisible” type milestones that reveal the progress, but not the name (the reverse of hidden milestones). Which milestones are hidden and invisible are now randomized on game start.
- Added a series of new milestones to unlock and discover.
- You can now force a world seed regeneration using ?seed= in url.
- Added a better caching system to prevent users from loading old game files when new version is released.
- Huge performance improvements regarding the rendering of item changes, objects, mini map, tiles, lighting and more. This has decreased CPU usage by around 10%.
Released September 22nd, 2013
- Weapon durability now only decreases if you do at least 1 damage.
- Items quickslotted will now re-quickslot on use if available from your inventory.
- There’s now a “Save and Exit” option.
- Confirm yes/no dialogs added for “End Current Game”, “Delete All Game Data” and traveling options.
- Fixed particle locations for ranged combat and fishing.
- You can now cast your Fishing Rod or Fishing Net without targeting a fish in specific. This can sometimes return seaweed or “wanted/unwanted” attention.
- Fixed an “undefined” error that would pop-up when ever you attempted to attack a creature for 0 damage.
- You can now attempt to attack a fish normally; however, as it’s underwater, it may be hard to kill with lesser weaponry. It’s suggested to still using Fishing Rods or Fishing Nets to catch them.
- Spears are no longer “Fishing” items, instead they are now “Throwing” weapons.
- You no longer move to fire bows (yes, there’s more than one now!), instead, you can double click to fire them (provided you have the ammunition).
- Throwing/Shooting range re-balanced. Certain items now also have varying ranges and attack values.
- Equipping and moving items from/to containers now takes a turn.
- Projectiles and bows now reduce in durability on use.
- You can now take damage from fighting bare-handed.
- Aberrant monsters now spawn (more at night/in caves/on treasure). They are doubly as strong (both defense/attack), always hostile, and can potentially drop rare items.
- Sound and music system has been reworked. There is now no flash fallback at all. The new system will reduce the performance issues that happen after playing for a long time. Loading will also now be faster, and will use less bandwidth (if playing the browser version).
- Game artwork and illustration screens are now full height/width.
- Fixed an error when monsters walked over Hobgoblin set traps.
- Fixed a bug where the minimap would not scale on smaller resolutions.
- Water routing is more consistently easier to do now.
- Fixed a vulnerability bug with Skeletons.
- Fixed some blurry game elements on some browsers when zoomed in.
- “Pour” can also be used for gardening (or watering plants).
- Milestone system has been implemented. Special bonuses are given out on obtaining each one. More milestones will appear each release.
- Skills no longer update if skills window is closed (performance).
- Resource gathering bonuses now depend much less on attack value of weapon(s) or tools used. Much more important are weapon to tool damage types. Blunt has bonuses for Mining, while Slashing has bonuses for Lumberjacking.
- Fixed a bug where you could lose items by drag/dropping them into a crafting filter.
- Fixed a bug where you couldn’t drag/drop items from equipment or quickslot into container directly.
- Requirements now are shown in red in the tool-tip if you do not have the item, or enough items for the craft.
- Chickens can now drop feathers from movement.
- Monster spawn cycle is now faster, and now progressively gets faster the longer you play.
- Fixed a bug where you would try to interact with shallow water instead of the water still on top of it while using a Waterskin.
- Gathering snow from a Waterskin now uses up the snow tile.
- Ore veins now have the potential to be double the size.
- Arrow weights re-balanced.
- Fixed a bug where you could plant over items or other plants. You will now attempt to drop plantable items on either of these failures now as well.
- You can now control + right click to attempt to drop all of the same type of items on the ground/container. You can also hold control while drag/dropping items for the same effect between containers/inventory.
- Fix to grammar for gaining/losing negative stat values.
- Fixed a bug where torches were heavier than they were supposed to be. Animal Fat Torches are now much better than Bark Torches/Poor Torches.
- Raft cycles no longer count the starting tile as part of the distance calculated.
- The Auto-pickup option no longer disables the ability to pick-up items using spacebar/click character action.
- There is now “fresh” water sources (in caves, ponds, oases) in which you can place into a Waterskin or Glass Bottle to drink directly. You can also boil fresh water to make it cleaner and less potentially hazardous to health. Fresh water does not need to be desalinated unlike sea/ocean water which still needs to be distilled using a still or Flask.
- Fixed a bug where stone houses would appear in desert biomes. Stone houses are also now a bit more rare on the overworld.
- Glass Bottles have been implemented as an accompaniment to Waterskins; they work in the same way.
- A handful of new items have been introduced including a focus on Archery/Bowcrafting materials/weapons.
- You now have a very good chance to water route if you dig near a water tile, especially if you Mining skill is high.
- Starting characters now get a bit less strength potential, but a better variety of potential spawning items.
- Fixed error when a monster would go out of map bounds.
- Many decaying changes including: Melted Amber now reverts to Amber after some time. Poor Glue, Rotting Vegetation, Rotten Meat now all decay. Many items now decay into nothing instead of the Rotting Vegetation default (mushrooms for example).
- Jelly Cube’s are now resistant to slashing and blunt instead of slashing and piercing.
- Items with a durability of 1 or less now show up in red in your inventory/equipment/quickslots.
- Monsters will now produce sound effects and messages when getting trapped or trampling plant-life within your screen radius.
- You will now only gain Trapping skill if the creature is damaged within your screen radius.
- You can now use Pour items to douse all “lit” fire items, such as Furances, Kilns, etc.
- Fixed multiple bugs with water still messages. Provided more helpful messages for all water pouring and still usage.
- Animal Fat is now a Fuel-like and a Combustible item.
- Sharks and Trout now re-spawn over time.
- A Lit Animal Fat Torch now has a different graphic than A Lit Bark Torch.
- Sharks no longer provide Bones, but have an extra Fishsteak.
- You can now extinguish fire on trees and other flammable tiles using a “Pour” item.
- All requirement items now have a durability. Meaning, you can’t just make one Mortar and Pestle and have it last entire game any longer for example.
- Thirst/hunger reduction slowed down a bit more (balance).
- Waterskins can now be found on loot and within houses (balance).
- The inventory now also has a filter option for name/group.
- Fixed a bug that shown “Damage Type:” in the wrong location on the tool-tip.
- Fixed a bug that always focused on the crafting filter when you opened the inventory window.
Released July 21st, 2013
- Each weapon is now calculated separately for attack.
- Stopped a bug that would show black pixels on the right and bottoms of the screen depending on resolution.
- Monsters now have defense, resistances, and vulnerabilities based on weapon damage types.
- Preliminary implementation of weapons damage types.
- Held weapons are now degraded based on wether they hit or not.
- Trapping skill and items have been implemented.
- Fixed a bug where your treasure counter would always be reset to 0 on winning, even if you had more treasures.
- Fixed a bug where you could die multiple times over.
- You can now end the current game from the main menu (you all character progress, but keep recipes).
- You can now sort and filter crafts now. You can filter by name, group and skill currently. You can sort by name and skill.
- New help and hints added for thirst, poison and bleeding.
- Player status now warns on several different factors, including: Starving, Dehydrated, Near Death, Exhausted, Bleeding and Poisoned.
- The “Extinguish” property is now “Pour” to coincide with the new distilling abilities.
- Many new items including everything needed to distill water and cure poisoning.
- One of the new items has the ability to tell the time of day or night.
- Preliminary monster de-spawning or decay added.
- Poisoning has been added with several ways to cure yourself.
- Shields are no longer damaged on attack or gather.
- Plant and mushrooms can now be trampled by players and monsters. You can also trample fires if they are weak enough.
- New monsters with a special abilities.
- All edibles now have a decay value.
- Monster loot and carves has been re-balanced and tweaked across the board.
- Fixed a bug where torches were not keeping their quality properties after lit/unlit.
- Fixed a bug where ore veins were spawning on the ground, or over improper tiles like trees.
- There is a now a falloff chance for stat gains (Strength/Dexterity/Metabolism). Over time, they get harder to raise.
- Thirst has been added with more ways to create drinkable water.
- Hunger now increases slower.
- There is now support for multiple groupings. Coal for example is now considered, “Carbons” and “Fuel-like”.
- Non-hostile creatures now appear less frequent as you progress through the game.
- Animations now appear over all game objects. Text or pick-ups are no longer hidden under monsters/player graphics.
- Fixed a bug where crafting options were not being re-calculated when an item was right-clicked off of quickslots or equipment list.
- You now learn past crafted items just by having the materials in your inventory. You no longer have to craft them for them to stay. Craft discovery rate has also been increased very slightly.
- Fixed an issue where the tool-tip would get reset to the top left position of the screen on some browsers.
- You can now carry a bit more weight by default (+5).
- Default spread strength of most plants decreased. This will encourage more gardening for player-grown crops.
Released June 8th, 2013
- Fixed some instances where errors would occur while placing/dropping items into a container.
- Five new songs added!
- Tile stacking has been implemented. There is now a simulated z-depth that allows the game to save what was under each tile.
- Tile strength is now saved between plays.
- Fix to help menu not properly cycling through all the hints.
- Keyboard shortcuts have been added for all windows (Esc = Main Menu, I = Inventory, / = Help, C = Skills, M = Messages, O = Options).
- Couple new items and item groups added (it’s a surprise!).
- Charcoal (or any carbon items) is no longer needed in the production of Wrought Iron.
- Fertility is no longer revealed for plant types that do not have any spreading capabilities (like Wild Onions).
- You can now start a fire over combustible items even if the ground type would not normally allow it.
- Both hand equipment is damaged once again; however, if one of your hands is a lit torch, it will not damage it, unless it’s the only thing you are carrying.
- There is now a delay during your first movements to stop accidental wall/resource gathering. The more you move consecutively, the faster you go.
- There’s now an option in Inventory window to change the binding of what double click does. Either default or make it act as a right click for dropping/secondary use items. This is beneficial for tablet and mobile users as they cannot right click.
- There’s now an option to enter fullscreen mode (more useful for offline clients) as all browsers allow this natively.
- Wrought Iron tools, armor and weapons have slightly less durability (promote Iron usage).
- The Throwing/Archery skill now influences the maximum range (5-10 tiles).
- Cave spawns while digging/gathering are a bit more rare.
- Only one tool durability is removed per gather (even with multiple item pick-ups).
- Secondary use for filled waterskins can now extinguish fires.
- Crafting tool-tips now show all item information and consumes/requirements are now condensed.
- Fixed an issue where tool-tips would squish unproportionately near limits of the the screen.
- There’s now a higher chance to water route while digging around water.
- You can now dig up environmental items on water.
- Double tap to zoom is now disabled for mobile/tablet devices.
- Failing on fishing can now produce Seaweed sometimes.
- Fixed an exploit that would allow you to catch any monsters as if they were fish.
- Attacking a monster over a resource tile will now prioritize the monster instead of the resource for gathering.
- Flying/ghost creature types can now go over fires and blocked movement environmental items (like Wooden Chests, Furnaces, etc.)
- Your skill level now directly effects the decay level of certain items, like crafting Cooked Meat for example.
- You can no longer see what is on a tile that is out of your line of sight.
- Double Axes can now carve.
- Burning items in a fire now can sometimes produce an Ash Pile or Charcoal, depending on the item type.
- Fixed a bug where item descriptions were not showing on tool-tips. Added these descriptions to crafting tool-tips as well.
- Glue can now be used to reinforce items (provide maximum durability bonuses and repair a bit of damage).
- Dropping edible items into the water may stir up some unwanted (or sometimes wanted) guests.
- Fixed a bug where sharks were not spawning as treasure guardians (again!).
- You can now drop items into a fire as it burns.
- There is now a sound when dropping an item into a chest.
- There is now a sound effect for recipe discovery.
- All tiles are visually a bit more varied and less “square” in appearance.
- Players using Internet Explorer 8 or below will now get the Chrome Frame Installer pop-up.
- Trying to dig or fish up treasure no longer results in multiple failure messages.
- Monster balance tweaked significantly for mid to higher tier monsters (they are harder overall).
- You can destroy or remove items from the game by dropping/sinking them into deep and/or normal water.
- “0″ is no longer shown on misses.
- Boglings and Fire Elementals special abilities are a bit more uncommon.
- Fixed a bug where the Flash fallback for sound support was not properly loading.
- Fixed a series of visual bugs and errors to do with lighting.
- Fixed a bug where digging for treasure would not check for a Wrought Iron Shovel (resulting in an error).
Released May 2nd, 2013
- Fixed multiple bugs where certain environmental items would spread even though they couldn’t by default by using Fertile Soil or Combustibles like Campfires or Wild Onions.
- Your right handed item will now always be damaged first over anything in left hand. This will help you protect your torches and tools from damage.
- Fixed an issue where if you clicked on the exact diagonal movement position on the game screen, it would move you in a random direction in between the two points. Now it will move you in which ever direction you are facing.
- Fixed a bug where if you picked up an item that was quick-slotted, it would not update the quantity.
- Equipped and quick-slotted items are no longer able to be used in crafts.
- The Options menu is now non-modal and can be kept open and re-sized like the rest of the dialogs.
- Decay now happens within all containers (slower in grounded, wooden chests).
- Animations and sounds are now properly and consistently queued based on your computer’s speed. This change also stopped some memory leaks in the game.
- You can now place tiles and walls on water, as long as there is enough non-water adjacent tiles to support it.
- Fishing system has been re-worked to provide a stronger simulation.
- Equipment and quick slotted items are now saved.
- Fixed a bug that showed Hints Disabled by default even if they weren’t.
- Some new wooden based items and a few other fishing related goodies.
- Monster spawn timer doesn’t get faster each day anymore, but on each win. The value is now also saved with your character.
- Only 5 treasures are removed on “win” state.
- New option added to remove all animations (mostly for slower computers/devices).
- Fixed a bug where the Fire Elemental would be able to light inflammable tiles on fire.
- New option added for alternate, non-pixelized font.
- Right clicking or “inspecting” a tile now reveals all information about it instead of just the first set of items on top of it. Additionally this will also now reveal the health status of plants and the strength of fire items.
- Required crafting items now get damaged as you use them in crafts. Additionally, “soft” crafting failures were added back in to mimic the rest of the systems implemented; however, they are fairly rare and will never destroy any items outright.
- Line of sight has been implemented.
- Fixed a bug where the sky would turn dark for about 20 turns in early morning.
- Some items (including a new one) sometimes appear on the shore lines (shallow water).
- You can no longer dig up fire to extinguish it; however, you can now place tiles over them to put the fire out, such as Dirt, Gravel, Sand, etc.
- Fixed a bug where fire didn’t spread on bare trees.
- Fixed a bug where past crafts were not saving on death.
- Treasure guardians will now be a much harder selection.
- Fixed a bug where Sandstone would get sorted out of order by name.
- Opening locked chests now provides a proper container interface to loot the items. Treasure in general is much more random and varied now.
- Open fires/flames are now a bit weaker by default (without adding fuel to them).
- Fixed a bug where you would not get the proper resource from digging if you discovered a cave entrance.
- Failure and death noises are a bit quieter volume wise.
- Fixed many resource gathering issues including a bug where you could pick-up multiple walls on gather and another issue where all attack bonuses would result in the same type of item being gathered instead of pulling other resources.
- Tablet and mobile devices now have proper tap controls for on-screen movement and tool-tips.
- Pig/Poor Iron now referred to as “Wrought”.
- Game window now provides a fullscreen experience. Screen will now adapt dynamically based on resolution of device and browser window size. There is now options to return game window to previous smaller format.
- Lighting radius increased on all world items (Fire, Campfire, Furnace, etc.).
- Only certain creatures can now cause bleeding.
- Containers now have more capacity across the board as well as a 25% weight reduction (20% previously).
- Cave exit/entrances can no longer form over objects in the way.
- Item groups are now shown/highlighted on crafting hover as well.
- Forests are now more sparse to allow better travel through in general. More Saplings and bare trees are spawned in between as well.
- You can no longer build items over exits or entrances.
- Fixed an error that popped up after reading a tattered map with 0 durability.
- Many, many performance fixes and improvements.
- Fixed a bug where sharks would begin going through land after fleeing from damage.
- Fixed a bug where some unlit torches were stackable.
- There is a now a limit on how many items you can place on a single tile (12).
- Tiles with 10 or more items on them act as impassable walls to creatures.
- There is now a hint available that descriptions all of the controls.
- Fixed a bug where Leather Boots would consume a Needle-like on craft.
- You now wake up from rest when a creature gets close to you.
- Leaves are now a combustible.
Released March 23rd, 2013.
- The game save directory now resides in your extracted/install directory for downloaded versions.
- Offline, downloadable version now available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
- Swimming to the map edge/borders now places you on the opposite side of the overworld.
- Better/more accurate click regions for mouse click movement on game window.
- Clicking the Inventory/Skills/Messages dialog buttons will now toggle them to open/close.
- Hovering over a craft item will now visually show items in your Inventory/Equipment/Quickslots that it uses in the crafting recipe.
- You now have a “Status” attribute which shows if you are bleeding.
- Torch improvements! Torches now have more durability across the board. Torches can now be unlighted and lit once again without being destroyed. Torches now produce a larger radius of light in general. Nighttime and caves are now darker.
- Fixed a bug where hotkey numbers disapeared on death.
- Fixed the math being a little off with -20% reduction on containers.
- Fixed a bug where stacked treasures were not being removed properly on a win.
- Fixed the “Nightfall” hint showing while inside a cave.
- Fixed an error occurring while carving Skeletons.
- Fixed an issue where the “BUGS!” hint would show before even starting the game.
- Fixed a bug related to repairing items that had no recipe or skill associated in their creation.
- Fixed a bug that kept tool-tips displayed after dropping and item or after closing a container.
- Some styling tweaks were applied to the inventory/crafting UI.
- Monster spawning is a bit quicker now and the maximum monster pool can get a bit bigger.
- Fixed an issue where in Firefox the hotkey numbers would push outside of the quick slot boxes while there was an item applied to them.
- Added an older game URL link to the version warning dialog.
Released March 16th, 2013.
Special shout-out to Richard “Orillian” Hobson on this release for helping me with quite a bit of programming. Also thanks to essial and Garret for other bits and pieces.
- Fixed a bug that would only allow you to ever get to 99.1% maximum skill.
- All mobile and tablet devices should now be able to move via tapping the game window.
- Fixed a bug that would not play music after turning music/sound back on after being off until next song.
- Vampire Bats now fly over trees.
- Preliminary modding support.
- Beta version clearing now gives you a warning with a YES/NO dialog. Sorry about your saves! Non-beta versions will automatically convert save structure.
- Resource Gathering has been overhauled to match this specification (mostly).
- Drag and drop item sorting within inventory is now more responsive and accurate.
- You can now go up or down entrances/exits with spacebar or clicking your character while standing on one.
- Caves are now full, realistic representations of the current map. You can “dig” into them from above. “Cave ins” have been removed, and all other cave-related errors have been fixed.
- All items without durability now can “stack” within inventory.
- Containers now have their own dialog and inventory window where you can drag and drop items or grab all items.
- Added a new dynamic hinting system (optional). Old tutorial system completely removed.
- Fixed a bug that wasn’t properly applying edible/healing bonuses based on skill.
- Spyglasses can no longer be used underground.
- Crafting tool-tips now display what will be consumed on the craft as well.
- Torches now have a varying degree of brightness depending on the type.
- Light sources are now brighter across the board.
- There is now a subtle light radius around your player in the night/darkness.
- Fire Elementals can no longer travel or start fires on water.
- Fixed a torch durability exploit (dropping and picking up) – torches now decay to ash on drop (for now).
- Fixed some fishing logic regarding stirring up sharks and success chances.
- Dialogs/UI/Game windows now resize/move dynamically on window/browser resize; dialogs can no longer be outside of view.
- Skills now have tool-tips regarding their effects.
- Armor is now more effective in defense calculations, especially against high-end creatures. However, any creature is able to penetrate your armor occasionally.
- Repairing durability reduction is now based on the minimum durability the item has on repair instead of an arbitrary 1/2 value reduction.
- Re-design of interface and layout – too many changes to mention specifically.
- A decent handful of new crafts, tiles, and items (including a brand new tier of equipment).
- Fixed a bug where sharks would not spawn as treasure guardians.
- Tool-tips can no longer render off-screen.
- Hunger is reduced by 1/3 of normal now while sleeping (was previously about 4/5).
- Fixed a repairing bug that would produce an error upon repairing an item with special properties (Legendary item or Tattered Map for example).
- Poor Glue is now a very low-level healing item.
- Fixed a bug where it would still count as moving while swimming into an item that blocked movement (like treasure chests).
- Fixed a bug that would stop players from seeing the “Win” screen on the win trigger.
- The Bullboat will now only be usable after you have reached the certain amount of things needed (trying to not spoil it here).
- Swimming to the edge of the map will just make you wash up on a shore within the current map/world.
- Fixed a bug that would keep skills on death and not give starting skill.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes carrying the max weight exactly would still give you the status of being overweight.
- Durability increase between each tier (Normal/Remarkable/Exceptional/Legendary) has been decreased dramatically.
- You can now use left and right hands interchangeably (formerly Weapon/Shield). This allows dual-wielding possibilities.
- Finger, Lightsource and Pack equipment slots have been removed. Pack items are now container types, and torches can be equipped in either hand.
- Axes are now “Sharpened Items”.
- Stamina reduction during crafting is now based on the crafted item’s weight.
- Fixed a bug that would allow carving up “on fire” objects like Campfires or Furnaces (with no item return).
- Fixed errors that would happen after using the Bullboat, or going to new area via swimming.
- Fixed a bug that would consume a Sharpened Item when crafting a Wooden Chest.
- Removed starting mouse icons (not really necessary).
- Many performance fixes and optimizations.
- You now receive warning messages when a tool/weapon/armor is very low durability.
- Fixed a bug that would continue to spawn hard monsters on death/respawn.
- Fixed an error/bug related to equipping weapons/armor.
- Treasure maps can no longer spawn in deep water.
- Items on the ground now pick-up from reverse (or newest) order.
- New player status: Bleeding – Lose health, no health regeneration and increased hunger. Any “Heal” item will stop you from bleeding.
- New Anatomy skill that allows examination of creatures (health) that is more accurate the higher your skill level is. Also decreases chance of bleeding from attacks.
- As always, there’s also hundreds of small tweaks and changes that don’t get listed here.
Released January 19th, 2013.
Special thanks to delac, Game Hunter, and Frank Orechio for all the awesome bug input for this release.
- You can now cook on ANY fire source.
- Repairing balance! Repairing anything now takes a full turn, is dependent on the skill used to create the original item (instead of just Tinkering) and will now HALF the maximum durability of the item on repair.
- There is no longer any catastrophic failures in any action that will result in direct loss of item.
- You now have a chance to dynamically discover how to craft other, unknown items as you craft.
- Digging resources are a bit more common on gathering at low skill levels.
- Fixed error text describing that you couldn’t place a “campfire”, when trying to build anything in a spot where you couldn’t.
- Fishing and crafting now have stamina checks.
- Fixed a bug that would give you a lightsource upon death/respawn if you were holding a lit torch.
- Minimum durability is no longer lower than maximum on craft/find.
- The Swimming skill is now much faster to raise.
- There is no more crafting failures; however, durability is now more dependent on skill. Inferior items have been replaced by a new higher tier “Remarkable” below Exceptional.
- Equipment slots now have tool-tips.
- Stones and rocks are now available in sandstone.
- Offline version now a stand-alone application available for Windows.
- Fixed a bug that didn’t allow you to dig up Sandstone Floors.
- Remnants of houses can now be found in caves.
- You are now able to use lit torches to light other objects.
- Fishing Nets are now required for getting treasure chests in the water.
- Using the raft now makes the proper amount of time/turns pass on use.
- Fixed a long standing (but unnoticed bug) that only ever rendered environmental items as the first graphic (out of three) – now everything has a bit more visual variety.
- Monsters now have less chance of backing off from you in a chase. They will also not back off for as long as they used to.
- Fixed a particle bug where particles would stay on the screen after going in or out of a exit/entrance.
- If you try to drop a plantable on a stack of items, it will try to drop it on the stack rather than trying to fail to plant it over the items.
- You can no longer try to sleep if you have under 0 hunger.
- Fixed a performance and “flickering” bug on all overlay graphics such as overhead text/items/particles effects.
- Vegetables and fruit can now spoil/go rotten.
- Better support for window positioning and some aesthetic changes in the game’s interface. Game will now dynamically resize if you have not edited the default window locations.
- Fixed a bug that would draw a part of the game dialog window as large even though user had set to small game window.
- Fixed a black screen bug when player has been interrupted and killed in their sleep.
- Players can now continue with their saved game after winning the game; however, you will be transported to a new world.
- Full HTML5 audio support – no more Flash fallback, meaning audio will work on offline version.
- New option for opening the tutorial back up when closed. The tutorial window now cannot be hidden behind other windows/dialogs.
- Fixed a bug where monsters could spawn over each other, especially present in treasure guardian spawning.
- Special “scrolls” have been added to the game which allow you to gain insight on recipes without having made them before. It will show up in the same fashion as previously crafted items.
- Fishing is now easier to gain resources with (especially from low skill levels). New resources are also available from fishing.
- All items now take slightly longer to grow.
- Every item now has a weight. The weight system now accommodates decimal point weights.
- There is now “Legendary” quality items which will provide unique bonuses on equipping them.
- Iron Swords will now act as carving items.
- Caves and darkest part of nights are now “slighty” more bright to accommodate darker monitors.
- You can now use pole-like items for anything that needs a branch.
- You can now gain skill on failures.
- You can no longer place tiles over cave exits/entrances.
- Fixed an exploit that allowed you to dropped items with 0 durability to get brand new items.
- Vi Keys implemented.
- You can now right click on the game screen to see what is on that tile. This will display items, monsters, environmental items, the tile itself (if nothing is present) and even allow you to see what’s in a container.
- A few new items including some more iron crafts, new enemy/animals resources and more. A few new monsters and environmental also thrown in for good measure.
- Worlds, including monsters, ground items, environmental items and more are now saved as everything else.
- Fixed a bug that made grown grass or trees not visible immediately after resting.
- Tools no longer reduce in durability while removing blood from the ground.
- Digging items (Poor Shovel) can now be used directly on resource tiles as well (trees, rocks). It produces the same effect as normal gathering.
- Many miscellaneous performance fixes.
- Fixed some performance issues regarding the shadows on items, on the ground.
- Fixed a bug that allowed crafting items with negative durability.
- Fixed a looting bug that stopped the Golden Sword from dropping.
- Fixed several instances where stats would stop regenerating (or reducing for hunger).
- Turning movements are now more precise (more delay).
- Gathering from trees and rocks without a tool now has a rare chance to hurt you.
- Added a framework that will allow mobile and tablet users to drag and drop items/dialog windows like on the desktop.
- Added a framework that allows mobile and tablet users to double click (or double tap) – this functionality also fixed a double click bug that would not allow users to double click in the same spot on the item graphic.
- Fixed some performance issues when grabbing items from chests (and other performance issues regarding inventory in general).
- The lens now also checks if the player is in a cave or not.
- Tweaked cave generation again – Better quality caves should now be generated in general.
- Monster spawns now get harder, more gradually than before.
- Equipment now gets damaged in random order.
- Skill gain is now more accelerated at the starting of the game.
- Past crafted items will be saved in crafting menu (even on death).
- Items are now sortable by weight and groupings.
- Items that are now usable/interactive now have hints within the tool-tips.
- Updated jQuery/jQuery UI frameworks for performance/bug fixes.
- Removed all default right-clicking context menu commands (was causing issues for some users).
- Fixed a text-section issue in older Firefox browsers and Internet Explorer.
- Fixed some tool-tip issues for Firefox (not disappearing).
Released September 15th, 2012.
- Brand new soundtrack, composed fully by Austin Dhillon. Preview the the amazing tracks here.
- Fixed found treasure message spam.
- You can now mouse click for all spacebar interactions.
- Many digging and carving bugs fixed.
- Adding fuel to fire (or fire-based objects) or special soil to plants is now stronger.
- The Bow Drill now has more uses/durability.
- The spawning of harder monsters is a little less strict in the types it spawns. Instead of constant imps and the like, there’s a chance for lesser creatures as well.
- There’s now a manual save button for Opera users (closing the browser/tab on Opera doesn’t allow for the automatic save feature).
- Caves are generated a little bit different now to accommodate the design decision to allow to mine through tall rock/mountains. You cannot traverse over black tiles – which represents a chasm/pit. Caves also contain unique treasures on occasion.
- All fire-based structures (like a Furnace, Kiln, etc.) now need “fuel-like” items to craft.
- Fixed a bug where you couldn’t throw/shoot over water.
- Fixed a bug where you would not get a starting skill after restarting from death.
- Treasure maps and hunting now implemented. Related skills added: Cartography and Lockpicking.
- Some items now decay over time, sometimes reducing to a new item, for example: Raw Meat = Rotten Meat.
- A couple new environmental resources added with some new tile types as well (related to home building).
- Over 40 new items, some with unique and new interactions and most of them include their own new recipe. I usually don’t spoil anything here, but I’ll mention this: You can now use Iron Ore in some way 🙂
- A few new creatures, some with “unique” and special abilities (Yes, the feather-toting Chicken is among the creatures added).
- Resting during the night now gives even more bonus rest cycles (not dependent on Camping skill).
- Resource gathering has been re-balanced and re-coded to allow for specific item-based chances rather than globally randomized chances.
- Only mushrooms can successfully grow within caves now.
- You now lose hunger on travelling to new worlds.
- Fade in/out screen effects added.
- Dynamic item stacking with drop shadows implemented. Items are now rendered at proper pixel-depth (at a sacrifice of visual clarity). I may have to manually draw each of these to make them look a bit nicer.
- The Digging skill has been replaced by Mining.
- You now receive a message back detailing how healthy a fire or plant is on adding fuel or gardening.
- You can now toggle auto pick-up and auto-gather via the options menu.
- Options are now saved on exit (like music, sound, auto pick-up/gather, etc.).
- Your turn count is now reset on death.
- Items now have varied minimum and maximum durability.
- Durability is now dynamic, allowing you to repair any item on the ground that you are facing (at a loss of 1 maximum durability).
- High-end creatures now have loot tables in which they can drop rare and valuable (and sometimes unique) items.
- Fixed many tile placing bugs.
- Deep water is now swimmable – you can also go too far out to sea and find yourself washed up in a new area; however, you will lose a lot of health/stamina/hunger this way.
- Fixed a design flaw which caused waaaaay too many Sharks. Sharks also can no longer spawn in caves.
- When digging, tiles only change when resource is successfully gathered. Tool durability is also now changed only to lower on successful dig.
- There is now more turning delay to allow for more precise movements.
- Fixed a bug that destroyed the thrown item if you killed the creature.
- Fixed a bug that allowed you to die instantly in some cases while travelling with the raft.
- Increased weight bonuses on pack items.
- You can now gather from walls like other resource tiles. Previously you could have technically trapped yourself in a walled area with no escape.
- Resource loot tables re-balanced.
- There is now more or bigger grassy areas in general.
- High rocks are now breakable.
- There is now a rare chance to break through tiles without an equipped tool.
- Stamina reduction on being encumbered has been lowered; however, it will reduce your movement speed even further.
- Stat gain has been made a bit more common, and is better emphasized on gain (sound/text).
- Strategic new skill gain diminishing returns has been reduced; effectively making skill gain a little faster again.
- Fixed a raft bug where new area would not render until moving.
- Fixed a Furnace carve bug.
- Treasures can no longer be dug up directly and they no longer appear randomly on the ground.
- Item breakage on crafting failure now reveals which item was destroyed – and is now randomized between all consumables instead of just the first in the list.
- Corpses no longer spawn on map generation.
- Saplings and grass seeds take longer to grow.
Released July 21st, 2012.
- Terrain quality has been significantly increased for gameplay concerns: less flooded areas, less individual small islands, and a better chance for one bigger “main” island – or at least a more connected landmass.
- More error checking done to stop from crashes for people tinkering with commands – CHEATERS! 🙂
- A new song has been added. Composed by Will Phillips.
- Over 100 new items, recipes, monsters, sounds and more.
- Throw damage has been reduced, while archery remains the same. You can no longer throw or shoot over non-passable terrain.
- Stats/skills/items are now saved on game close. Your save will be deleted if you die.
- The raft no longer allows the player to travel home; there is another item for this use now. This “new” item will also allow users to travel to completely new areas/parts of the world and not just between islands like the raft.
- Performance has been improved by over 50%. This will fix the slowdown most players get after playing for awhile.
- There’s now a cave system filled with baddies, mining, and treasure.
- You can now use the mouse to move by left clicking a direction on the screen, click yourself to skip a turn/pick-up items under you (functions like the Spacebar).
- New equipment slots: Gloves, Torch, and Bag (I wonder what those could be used for?)
- Hostile creatures are a bit less aggressive in chases.
- You can no longer drop items over top of environmental items unless they directly effect it – for example Fertile Dirt for plants or fuel for fire.
- Several stats have been added to the win/death screen including turns and raw talent – all of which make up your final “score” now.
- Starting rest cycles have been reduced; however, resting is now easier during the night.
- There is now a “scared” AI modifier applied on creatures such as Rabbits – They will always run away from you. Additionally, creatures that get low on health will have this same behavior.
- You can now drop treasure. Doing so will change your treasure counter. This is useful if you still want to use the new “raft”, but have all the required treasures.
- Actions that required “dropping” items to get other items such as cooking food is shown in the Crafting dialog instead. These “special” crafted items are shown in green – indicating that you need to have a certain requirement meet before trying it – such as being adjacent to a campfire. These requirements are also listed on the crafting tooltips.
- Gaining new skills gets harder over time – strategic starting skill development is required.
- Some of the new monsters have “special” and unique abilities – you will see much more of this type of thing coming up to promote variety in combat. Some of these new monsters also only spawn in certain instances (much like the night-time only modifier in 1.3).
- Automatic unequipping/swapping.
- Item qualities implemented. Based on skill you can now create 3 levels of items with durability: Exceptional, Normal (no suffix), and Inferior. These properties will effect their durability (for now).
- You can now catastrophically fail while crafting and cooking (losing 1 resource from recipe).
- Items now list which group/category they are a part of in the tool-tip.
- Durability of item now shown dynamically in tool-tip.
- Previously crafted items now show in Crafted dialog (faded out).
- Looted/found items will now have proper durability (they always had 1 durability due to a bug).
- Being over-weight now effects stamina (as it should have, but didn’t, due to a bug).
- Font and UI changes – More readable and pleasing.
- Many, many bug fixes and tweaks (thanks everybody!).
Released June 7th, 2012.
- Procedural map generation implemented back in to the game (last present in 1.0 due to technological constraints).
- Templating system implemented for “point of interest” spots and buildings/houses.
- Most performance issues resolved.
- New, better artificial intelligence.
- Weight and carrying system implemented.
- You can now use spacebar to pick-up multiple items on a tile without moving.
- Gathering resources is now more common.
- Resource tile breakage happens more frequently (kind of a bug from 1.2).
- You can no longer rest, place tiles or craft while in water.
- Monsters spawn more frequently over time.
- Brand new game screen art by Dusty Melling.
- Nasty creatures come out at night and hide during the day.
- The previous mechanic and goal to “win” the game has been changed – made more specific to “treasure hunting” and exploration.
- The raft now moves between land masses (across deep water).
- You can no longer sleep while starving to death.
- You can now “over eat”.
- Basic Fishing has been implemented.
- Day and night cycles are now more realistic (hunger has also been changed to reflect this).
- After crafting an item, its requirements are now logged in your messages.
- Defense and monster damage now works on a minimum-maximum system to promote variety in battles.
- A “Campfire” is now needed to cook food. You will still need to start a fire, but started directly on the campfire to light it. Additionally, you can still start fires indiscriminately (for burning trees, avoiding monsters, etc.).
- You can now fail at cooking and crafting (no resource loss, yet!).
- Archery has been implemented (with use of one of the new items).
- Skill gain is now faster at the start.
- Other miscellaneous bug fixes.
- Dynamic lighting fix (on fire).
- Downloadable offline version now available.
- Item sorting has been added via the options menu.
- Some new items, sounds, monsters, environmentals, skills, and recipes.
Released April 19th, 2012.
- Over 100 new recipes, items, monsters, environments/tiles, sounds and skills!
- All planting/dropping/item effects now are “used” on your facing adjacent tile instead of below your character.
- You can now work yourself into exhaustion.
- It’s now more rare to destroy a plant on failure.
- Many bug and performance fixes.
- Item durability and breakage implemented.
- Eating or using an item now logs the stats regained or decreased in Messages.
- Leaf bedroll now tied into Camping skill usage – amount of sleep gained is dependent on skill.
- New tool-tip system.
- New resizable, snappable, savable UI.
- New sound options panel.
- Failure on any given action is now a little bit easier to notice with new sound effect.
- Items now drop without being planted or used in some way if the tile you are trying to drop on a tile that can’t be used/planted to. The Messages panel will log what is happening here.
- Basic fire system implemented full with a fuel and cooking sub-system.
- Basic information/tutorial system implemented.
- Saplings can now be grown.
- Hotkey usage now timed properly to mirror resource gathering speed (based on Stamina).
- Swimming is now in!
- You can now carve certain items now that were exclusive to being “dug” up like Mushrooms.
- Treasure spawning and discovery is a little bit different to promote more exploration/skill usage.
- Some plant-able items now have multiple tiles that they can grow on.
- Many skill system changes, tweaks and increased usefulness all around.
- Right clicking equipped items now un-equips it.
- You can now use items that are equipped.
- Hunger now resets to a minimum of 0 when eating.
- Monsters no longer scale in difficulty.
- Water routing via digging is now in.
- Many digging improvements introduced as well as bug fixes.
- Basic dynamic lighting system implemented – still needs work.
- You can respawn/play again after you die or win with the space bar.
- The resource/gathering system now require tools equipped to take down tree or rock tiles. Your tool now also effects what resources you get.
- Stepping on plants reduces their spreading ability.
- World map has been updated slightly (to include shallow water and other tiles).
- Much more…
Released January 19th, 2012.
- Tons of bug and performance fixes.
- More equipment, more items, more enemies, more sounds, more crafting, more environments.
- Monsters now have corpses that can be carved for resources.
- You can now rest with the bedroll.
- Better support for lower resolutions.
- Dialog/window positions now save on your browser.
- You can now skip/wait a turn with the space bar.
- There is now a static and unique map to explore, filled with dungeons and treasures.
- There is a “win” scenario built into the game. Can you discover it?
- Better combat functionality.
- Projectiles and throwing.
- Intelligence has been taken out – Hunger is in!
- Random starting equipment.
- Browser warnings for older browsers.
- Temporary loading/title screen.
- New character look
- Hotkeys implemented.
- Tool-tips enabled for items and crafting recipes for more information.
- Much more…
Released December 22nd, 2011.
- Tons of bugs, probably.
- Infinite dynamically generated terrain and environments.
- Skill and stat based character progression with attributes based on skills and equipment.
- 5 monsters, 10 tiles, 10 crafting recipes, 5 environmetal items, 35 items.
- Usable/edible items with double clicking. Dig up items with the shovel. Eat mushrooms! Drop dirt over water!
- Dropping/planting items with right clicking. Plant and grow mushrooms!
- Environmental items that grow and spread; mushrooms, flowers, etc.
- Monster combat and basic AI.
- Resource gathering and a unique discovery crafting system.
- Canvas/HTML5 gameport rendering with particle effects.
- JQuery/JQueryUI based movable windows/interface with drag and drop capabilities for items and equipment.
- SoundManager2 based sound effects and audio.
- Minimap to help exploration.
- Left hand is equipable.