Hello to all the Wayward Free players out there!
I have not forgotten about my statement. That I would be updating the free version as I needed to (and had time to). I know there’s still many of you out there, so an update is definitely in order!
Here’s the full changelog for Wayward Free 1.9.4:
- Added the “Orb of Talent” which allows players to gain stats and talent at the cost of increased difficulty.
- Added a new cover text system that fixed some browser glitches that would show random characters in the lower left portion of the screen.
- Higher quality music and sound files are now used.
- Normalized all sound effects and fixed an issue where some browsers/operating systems would appear to cut off some sound effects from playing fully.
- Volume is now set to 50% of maximum volume by default.
- Fixed an issue where you could dig up treasure with monsters standing on the same tile.
- Archery has been renamed to “Archery and Firearms”.
- The “Flintlock Pistol” now uses archery and firearms instead of the throwing skill.
- Fixed a bug where you could transfer a raft to a container while on it, causing errors.
- Updated the list of supported browsers and versions.
- The version of the game is now displayed in the HUD interface.
- Fixed a bug where you could place things in locked chests.
- Hobgoblins/Fire Elementals can no longer set traps/fire on tiles where monsters are.
- Updated the Steam promotional image (with current beta 2.4 graphics).
- Fire and plants can no longer spread to tiles with monsters on them.
- The offline, downloadable version now uses Electron (previously run with NW.js).
This should wrap up any previously reported issue and bug out there. Please let me know if you find anything else though!
Please also let me know if you would like to see some balance or quality of life changes implemented. It’s been so long since I worked on it, and the paid version of the game is so much further along, that I’m not quite sure what could be fixed up easily or what the issues even are.
Wayward Free is available to be played in browser as usual here: http://unlok.ca/wayward/
Windows (64-bit): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
Windows (32-bit): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
Requirements: Windows 7 and later.
Instructions: Unzip the files and run the wayward.exe to launch the game.
macOS (64-bit): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
Requirements: macOS 10.9 and later.
Instructions: Unzip the files and run the “Wayward” application. You may need to hold down “Control” when opening the application to get the “Open” option as it will not be identified as a recognized application.
Linux (64-bit): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
Linux (32-bit): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
Requirements: Ubuntu 12.04 and later, Fedora 21, Debian 8
Instructions: Unzip the files and run the “wayward” executable. You may need to run “chmod 777 wayward” in the extracted directory before trying to launch the game.
All source files can be found within the “app” directory under “resources” in all builds, or you can simply download all source files here if you wish to tinker. Make sure to follow the license if you do.