Just thought I’d give a short update and mention a current poll going on for Roguelike of the Year 2013.
Beta 1.7 Spoilers
The first pre-release, preview build of Wayward beta 1.7 has been released for all you donators. Make sure to view the spreadsheet for the link. There’s already quite a few things complete from the to-do list, as you can see in the changelog. Some of the coolest changes and fixes so far include:
- Monsters will no longer spawn on any player made tiles/flooring.
- Removed all “Poor” items. They have been all renamed to match material descriptors instead of quality descriptors. Several minor recipe changes because of this.
- Fixed several errors and oversights relating to treasure items and travelling home (would not always count the proper amount). Removed all treasure finding messages.
- Equipped containers no longer get damaged (preventing several errors and unintended consequences).
- Fixed an error occurring when trying to light a fire with an empty container equipped.
- Fixed a long standing bug that would cause the character to continue moving if focus of the tab/window was left while a key was being pressed (among other causes). This would routinely cause players to die as they would continue walking into monsters or getting hurt from stamina loss.
- There is new status effect called “Burning Pain”.
I’ll try to reveal some more goodies from beta 1.7 coming up soon!
Request for Votes: Ascii Dreams Roguelike of the Year 2013
The Ascii Dreams blog is once again running their Roguelike of the Year poll. Yes, we all know who is going to win (T.o.M.E. 4), but that shouldn’t stop you from voting on all your favourite roguelikes this year. Please note, you are able to vote for as many roguelikes as you want! Vote here. There’s currently 8 days left to vote and nearly 4000 people have voted at the time of this post. Want to see a bigger full-screen version of the poll? Click here.
Wayward Island Kingdom
JamesIII has been working on updates to his “Wayward mini-game” as it was previously called. This fully customized world is filled with landmarks, puzzles, story narrative, and more.
If you are looking for some more stuff to do in beta 1.6, this can provide quite a bit of exploratory fun. Check out the forum thread for more information/screenshots.
10 thoughts on “Beta 1.7 Update + Roguelike of the Year 2013”
Any idea when 1.7 will be finished and released?
I try never to give a definite date, but most likely in January.
:o) I’m looking forward to it. This game is coming along pretty great in my opinion.
1.7 already!? You just keep cranking these out so fast Vaughn, this is so awesome!!! Keep up the great work, this is one of my favorite games out right now!!! By the way, what do you think of the new title for the mini game? It kinda just came to me on the day I posted the last version.
I think it fits!
I voted for Wayward, DC:SS, Cataclysm and Infra Arcana. TOME is a good roguelike but’s imo overhyped.
As for your previous post about graphics, I think that pixel art captures the game’s “feel” the best way. I only wish you would go for a more detailed sprites instead for that pseudo HD. I personally would like a Fallout-ish texture pack with apocalyptic feel. Maybe even a whole overhaul mod with radioactive rain/water, wasteland biome etc… 🙂
this is sort of off-topic but could you make chickens more common/appear even when you are high level (or add other monsters that drop feathers)? I have all these beautiful new bows…and no way to make ammo for them
other than that nitpick, this remains my favourite game and your updates are always awesome
In 1.8 with the homescreen thing, could you add a multiplayer LAN thing? For the turns, have 1 occur once every 2 seconds. As for sleeping when everyone is trying to sleep then it fast forwards by the lowest level of sleeping. This would be awesome because after a while in wayward, things get to lonely and boring. Adding friends to play with would make it amazing
I wish it was that easy haha…
I feel that Loneliness is part of the wonder of the game. You have this whole world and it is all yours, and what you do there will only ever matter to you. No one to show off to, no one else to please, just doing what you do for its own sake.