The changelog is updated every time I add new items to the current in-development Beta. Check back/subscribe via email (located at bottom of page) to see progress updates.
Beta 2.0 (Steam)
To Be Released/Changelog Not Finalized
Fixed a bug where:
- Crafting items were returning higher quality items too commonly.
- Clicking Ectoplasm would cause an error (and not display menu).
- Some sounds were getting clip/cut due to length/filetype.
- Resources that had a 1% of dropping on dig/gather were never received.
- Middle clicking inside a dialog (to use mouse scroll) would cause all input to be disabled until a restart took place.
- Using mouse to move in an exact diagonal position would idle instead of move.
- Many issues and bugs with using the first item in inventory (or in container) and generally any “first” in other game systems, such as the first monster, first environmental, etc. This is the thing that would lead to container errors, or your bedroll not decreasing in durability.
- Dialogs would appear outside of screen if window was resized and the dialog was closed (would show up when re-opened).
- You couldn’t carve/dig/pick-up a chest that was on a cave exit/entrance.
- Many things were spelt incorrectly (typos) or had bad grammar.
- Item menu would not close after dropping an item.
- Repairing/reinforcing/preserving/transmogrifying a stack of items would not loop through them correctly.
- Game timers (for stat regeneration/decreasing) was not saved.
- Firefox would report wrong in-game coordinates when using the zoom feature.
- Fire Elemental’s fire could spawn on objects and other monsters.
- Turning music off, then on again would cause error if no track was ever played yet if you tried to switch tracks.
- Horizontal scrollbar would be taller than vertical scrollbar (for Chrome/offline version).
- Repairing/reinforcing and item would not remove the red durability border/marker.
- You could drop/throw an items with 0 decay to restore it’s decay to full when picking back up.
- Legendary torches would decay into legendary ash.
- Logic of gathering effectiveness based on slashing for lumberjacking and blunt for mining was not being applied properly, or the weapon’s attack/damage.
- Offline version would freeze on occasion for some users.
- The previous hint button would never cycle through all the hints properly.
- Throwing an item on a stack of 12 would delete the item.
- Dialogs could push past screen dimensions/resolution.
- Parrying would gain more on taking damage and offer no gain on no damage. The logic is reversed now – you gain when you block (take no damage).
- Idling while swimming would still increase stamina.
- Quality of a crafted item could increase where it shouldn’t have been able to (like purified water).
- Chicken hatching and spawning could potentially get out of control. Chickens no longer lay eggs, they drop two of them when killed to be used to drop and hatch on the ground.
- Multiple crafts were resulting in more weight afterwards (many things with rocks).
- Tattered Maps were not resetting when travelling to a new world while in containers.
- You could not craft while facing deep water.
- Wooden doors are now tile mapped to change direction based on if walls are around them.
- Arrow and vi keys movement have been removed by default – you can now rebind movement to any keys that you want via the new keybinding UI.
- There is now a short delay when you pick items up from the ground.
- Some delays and movement timing has been adjusted for more fluid, less error-prone movement.
- Text overlays now render a bit easier to see (due to shadow on text).
- Field of view, line of sight, and lighting shadows are dithered and angled to provide more graphical fidelity.
- Lighting is now colored and is dithered like the rest of the new field of view system.
- There is now no map borders, everything will render as if the world is one continuous area.
- The minimap has been removed in favour of a player-based zooming in and out feature.
- The spyglass will now allow the player’s field of view to increase slightly when equipped.
- Loading games should no longer cause frozen program warnings on older/less powerful machines. Games will now load mostly asynchronous using webWorkers.
- Items with high durability (like the raft) will now scale it’s damage (instead of only taking 1 out of 500 damage for example, it will now take 25/500).
- Everything organic is now edible (including some seeds and other things that previously were not).
- Seeds are now harvested or dropped on use/eating. Removed instances where they needed to be crafted.
- Added seeds for every type of plant.
- Donation mentions/links removed.
- Version now shown in main HUD.
- Application now saves window size and fullscreen/windowed option.
- Application now starts in fullscreen by default.
- Main menu, and other centered modal dialogs now center dynamically if window is resized.
- Crafts now show how many items you have versus need for each item/group.
- Walking sound changed/improved.
- You can no longer gather walls directly. You now manually pick them up via the actions menu or via carving/digging.
- Removed torch stand recipe. You can now place a torch using an item action (either lit or unlit).
- You can add more fuel to a lit torch in your inventory.
- You can now put our a lit torch in your inventory.
- Tooltip layout for items have been condensed/improved.
- “Rope-like” is now “Cordage”.
- You can now close item menus, action menus and the hint window with ESC (by default).
- Game size option removed.
- Monsters will have a chance to spawn closer to you, but never within line of sight.
- Fire can now appear over doodads (environmentals) and corpses.
- Wayward logo redesigned (No more “Gayward”).
- Added identifiers in inventory for showing if an item is equipped or quickslotted.
- Equipping or quickslotting items no longer removes it from your inventory.
- Tweaked sleeping turns/cycles a bit – less based on skill, shorter maximum duration.
- Fire light is now orange tinted in color.
- Nights are now not as dark as they used to be (caves are still as dark).
- Default player light radius added back.
- Light flickering has been added to player torches.
- Sandstone are no longer “rock-likes”.
- Each world is now guaranteed a proper ratio of both sandstone (desert) and rock (temperate) areas. Deserts always spawn in the south.
- There is now a larger dead-zone for item and action menus while they are opened, so that you hover your mouse further outside of the menu before it closes automatically.
- Durability of glass bottle lowered.
- Message now outputs which items were repaired/reinforced/preserved/transmogrified.
- Pouring water on Fire Elementals will now cause damage.
- Sounds levels tweaked when starting a new game, some louder sounds have been normalized.
- Fires will now burn for longer.
- Grass seeds will take much longer to grow now – on part with the rest of the plants.
- Tweaked throwing damage scaling when throwing items with no attack value (previously used weight but allowed very high damage even from a feather for example).
- Completed milestones now effect starting stats. The more you have completed, the higher the chance for better starting stats.
- Food and water is now required for travelling home.
- Monster spawn talent brackets have been adjusted, for a more smooth difficulty curve.
- Stepping on a cactus will now injure you (depending on equipment).
- Turning music back on from being off will now start the next song.
- Music now starts on new game instead of game load.
- Kraken’s loot table has been adjusted so they don’t always drop a Message In A Bottle.
- Increased visibility of message box (more opacity) and added a better line height setting for more readability.
- Removed “modder” milestone. No fourth wall breaking here folks!
- Wooden chests no longer block monster movement.
- Skill have varying amounts of talent they will now give you. Combat skills will make you gain the most talent, while crafting and other utility skills will give you less. This is a balance for monster spawning talent brackets.
- Messages will now show “gather” when you pick up an item using a gathering action.
- The right hand is now preferred as the tool to use for gathering, but will go to left if right hand tool provides no bonuses/is not suited for task (or right hand is empty).
- Damage from gathering without tools now scales with strength.
- Added a message for missing black powder when firing the Flintlock Pistol.
- The Archery skills is now “Archery and Firearms”.
- Updated help/hints with more up-to-date information.
- Medicinal water now requires two medicinal items (reduces new player confusion).
- Options dialog is now larger by default and organized better.
- You can now eat unprepared pemmican (but it provides less benefits than prepared version).
- Dialogs will now get resized if screen/resolution is smaller than the width/height of a dialog.
- You will now continue your moving animation when trying to move into an obstacle/impassable object (Pokémon style).
- Parrying is no longer used to negate damage from environmental of world objects such as being burned from fire.
- Parrying now has stamina reduction based on skill value (lower chance to decrease with higher skill).
- Scared monster AI will now pathfind more intelligently away from you.
- Low health or scared monsters will have a chance to run away from a battle.
- Order of items in inventory is now saved on game close/reload.
- Sleeping long periods of time will now be faster.
- Walls now require a foundation under them (flooring) to have the flooring visually reach to the wall.
- All shovels now require 1 pole-like (down from 2) and 2 strings (up from 1).
- Stoke fire effect now doubled for all items.
- Resting/sleeping “cycles” replaced with an hourly estimation of how long you rested/slept for.
- Craft recipes will now unlock if you have only a single of each item required in the craft.
- You no longer discover (or unlock) other related craft recipes by crafting any longer.
- Spawned houses and other templates will now overwrite any monster/items/objects already generated.
- Rope now requires 4 string (instead of 2).
- Hammocks now require 2 (instead of 3).
- Days are now longer while nights are shorter.
- Light level now effects your field of view radius (caves/night will reduce your vision).
- Night time outside of caves now is brighter, but has a blue tint added.
- Tattered Maps are a bit more common to drop by monsters and in treasure chests.
- Ineffective/effective combat messages no longer show if you dealt 0 damage.
- Ineffective/effective messages now show the damage types that were ineffective and effective.
- Made sure all messages that are attached to a turn passing have the proper past tense in regards to grammar.
- There is a new jump action that will allow you to jump over certain tiles, monsters and objects.
- Doors can now be opened and closed. Closed doors will provide no line of sight unlike previously.
- Monsters will now pathfind towards you if hostile (they will move around obstacles to get to you).
- Over 20 new items added, some with unique functionality/usages.
- Intermediate growth cycles for all plant life as been added. There is now an added step before plants are mature enough to harvest.
- A few new higher tiered monsters added.
- Tilemapping (auto-tiling) has been implemented for all world tiles including special cases for mountains, walls and flooring.
- Smooth movement/scrolling and animations have been implemented across the board.
- Every single graphic has been overhauled and redesigned.
- Keybinding has been added (keyboard interaction only).
- An animated Unlok splash screen has been added.
- Support added for larger monster sprites.
- Facebook/Tweet on death/win.
- Every item now has a unique description.
- Maps now show in a separate window that can be moved, resized and closed.
- There is now seeds for all grown plant life.
- Added a menu/button clicking sound.
- Hotkey control has been added to action and item menus (using numbers by default).
- Female character added.
- You can now dissemble certain items to get items returned that was used in the craft (reduces durability of items).
- There is now encumbered and overburdened, two levels of overweighted. Encumbrance simply slows down movement. Overburdened will skip turns, slow down movement, and take damage and movement.
- You can now have up to 5 save slots.
- Highscores have been added (shows talent and what killed you).
- Custom death messages – it now outputs what killed you (used in highscore system).
- New window icons added for better support for small and big icons.
- “Environmentals” are now referred to as “doodads”.
- You can now find a cave easier when digging. It no longer checks that the ground below is open for movement.
- Some new milestones added; ones that are more complex, and not simply counter/incremental based.
- Monsters now make noise – you can hear them when they are near you.
- There is now a hotkey for Milestones (defaulted to Z).
- A new “Food” group has been added to items.
- Added a visual for each hotkey on the main hud menu buttons.
- Added native support for game import/export (previously only available via modding) – limited to slot 1 for now.
- You can now pick-up items from the adjacent tile with the actions menu “Pick-up Item”.
- There is now sound and music sliders for changing volume.
- Some monsters can damage and break down walls and other objects in their way/path.
- Added a “gather” ability so tools can be used directly to gather instead of defaulting to equipped weapons/held items via the item menu.
- A new chemistry skill has been added to replace alchemy and includes a lot more mixture-style recipes.
- If sea water touches fresh water, it will now contaminate the fresh water source over time.
- Sounds are now more normalized in terms of volume. This fixed certain sounds like crafting and failures being too loud compared to the others.
- All monsters now have facing direction graphics and attack animations.
- Custom mouse cursors have been implemented.
- Fog of war added (black areas that you have not yet explored).
- A completely overhauled interface/UI has been implemented with new art and design.
- You can now move or drop all of the same quality.
- You can now sort crafts by category (shows up in unique formatted listing). Many new item categories added with this change.
- A new dither style of fog of war/line of sight has been added. You can toggle between the two via options.
- Quickslots will now save the item you have added to them.
- Text is now selectable inside the messages dialog.
- You can now drag and drop to the ground from your inventory.
- Walls can now be picked up from the actions menu.
- You can now drag from containers/equipment to quickslots.
- You can now place containers within containers.
- Crafting now will look through containers in your inventory to find valid items for recipes.
- Containers will now show their contained item weight in the title/tooltip.
- Wayward is now written in TypeScript.
- Performance improved on a lot of UI-based interactions.
- Wayward now uses WebGL for graphics rendering.
- Removed compression on all assets (sounds/music/graphics).
- Wayward is now built with Electron (previously node-webkit).
- A fully featured UI-driven modding system has been implemented with support for saves, requirements (mods of mods), and a rudimentary API for modding yourself. Implemented through Steam Workshop. Save game uploads are also supported via Steam Workshop as well.
- Wayward now used IndexedDB for storage (allowing larger and more saves). Save data is also compressed now.
- Image assets/graphics no longer scaled up. All assets are 1×1 and scaled via CSS/rendering.
- Game input is now separated from rendering.
Released August 31st, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- The offline/downloadable clients would not allow mods to be loaded (node-webkit issue).
- Quality of tiles did not transfer between setting down and digging/gathering them back up.
- Slime Gelatin would decay into Rotten Meat.
- Magical “Essense” typo fix.
- Attack and defense values would not be updated after an un-equip.
- When attacking a creature, you will no longer also pick up items from under it in the same turn.
- Water routing ability (digging adjacent to water) and chances now depend on how much water you are trying to route and dig from. If the pool of water tiles is too low, it will not be able to spread naturally; however, above that, the chance for water to route is based on the amount of water tiles in the pool. The more water, the easier the water is to route.
- There is now a 32 and 64 bit versus for the offline OS X version of Wayward (previously only 32-bit).
- Fixed the tile/world perspectives on Forge and Anvil and Wooden Chest and a few other miscellaneous graphic edits.
- Armor now has specific vulnerabilities and resistances and monsters now have damage types to be used in conjunction.
- Attack and defense labels now have hover-over information which includes a more in-depth break down of damage types, resistances, vulnerabilities and skill bonuses for each.
- Transmogrify, Repair, Reinforce, and the new “Preserve” now show up in each item menu to specifically perform item on item action instead of having to drop the item on the ground to perform the actions.
- A new “Preserve” ability has been added to be used on extended the life of foods.
- A few new items including a unique, rare weapon and a new resource (and tile).
Released July 13th, 2014.
Fixed a bug where:
- Multiple errors could be triggered when using a container that was in the first slot in your inventory.
- A typo that caused some creatures not being able to spawn on shallow sea water.
- Plant Roots was spelled “plant Roots”.
- Fire decay rate status was not being calculated per type, so furnaces for example would always be raging to start and last for a long time. The message is now more accurate.
- You could duplicate items by holding an item in your cursor and picking an item up.
- Sounds would sometimes not play properly in the offline, downloadable version.
- Decode verbiage changed to make more sense with gather treasure changes.
- Aberrant Living Mushrooms now drop/carve into Red Mushrooms instead of the normal white mushrooms.
- Living Mushrooms no longer bleed.
- Removed attack from actions as it caused issues with timing/turns and there’s no option to disable auto attack anyway, so it was confusing/unnecessary.
- The Bull Boat no longer requires treasure, and no longer has a “win” state applied to it – it can now simply be used to travel to a new world.
- A new, more advanced boat has been included to replace the old Bull Boat’s functionality.
- Ammo and fire consumables (tinder, kindling, etc.) will now be checked throughout all containers in player’s inventory, not just those that are equipped.
- Chickens now longer spawn by default, they have been added to a higher tier.
- The container menu/window will now display the name of the container that is currently open.
- Slowed down plant spreading chance by around 75%.
- Speed up fire spreading chance by around 25%.
- Blood removal now has a custom message and no longer loops as a second action.
- Plants may now randomly, and rarely spontaneously grow (not just from spreading from another as previous).
- Performance of the offline, downloadable version should be improved a bit.
- Complete documentation and hint/help guide added. Caution: heavy spoilers! Let me know if you can see any improvements to be made on this.
- Added unique corpses to aberrant creatures.
- A few new items and item uses added.
- Eggs have been added and can now hatch into chickens, or be laid by chickens.
- Help and donation buttons added to the main menu.
- spawnMonster now has an extra parameter for forcing aberrant status.
Released June 14th, 2014.
Beta 1.9 contains all the changes and fixes included in 1.8.1-1.8.6.
Fixed a bug where:
- De-spawning would stop to function properly after awhile in a game/session.
- Using quick-slotted items with hotkeys would bypass sling/bow equip restrictions and cause containers not to work.
- Quickslotted items would not restock if thrown from the item menu.
- 0 durability items being blocked from crafting if they were just required (and not consumed).
- Dying while rafting would cause the player to become stuck on respawn.
- Invisible rotten meat would keep spawning in a player’s inventory if they had some meat with a 0 decay in the first spot of a container, in the first spot of their inventory. You can see how this one was hard to track down!
- Filters would not work in Safari.
- Items would disappear if you tried to use “Drop (All) In Opened Container” when not facing the chest.
- Closing a container with the “X” would not actually close the container via game logic, possibly causing some container errors.
- Fists and throwing items with no damage type would result in no vulnerabilities and resistances being applied.
- Players could get different items back after they just placed a tile. For example, getting shale from a pile of gravel they just placed down.
- Randomized events will now happen more frequently.
- Acceleration on movement slowed down on turning to produce more accurate facing movements.
- Slowed down monster de-spawn a bit (although, it’s much faster than before due to a bug fix).
- Items you cannot craft are displayed with a red border instead of a very low opacity.
- If a container breaks from throwing, the items inside now scatter around the point of impact.
- Decreased the durability on branches, bones, and wooden poles to promote crafting of higher tiered items for gathering/fighting.
- You can now turn while moving with your mouse and holding down, instead of having to de-click, and then changing directions.
- Increased vine whip durability.
- “A Spear” is now “A Stone Spear”.
- You now always have a chance at doing at least 1 damage to a creature.
- Resists and vulnerabilities re-balanced across all creatures.
- Fixed some grammar issues with combat messages.
- A couple new survival food related items added.
- Added a couple missing translation texts including recipe skill, equipment type, damage types, and dialog titles.
- A pick-up option was added to the action menu for doors.
- Inspecting an aberrant monster will now reveal it’s abnormal.
- Combat messages will now reveal effectiveness of what you are using to damage a creature.
- New fancy webkit-only scroll bars!
- Item CSS is now generated dynamically instead of via CSS. This will improve modibility and changing of items on the fly.